Division of Temporary Disability and Family Leave InsuranceURL reading ( My Leave Benefits . NJ . Gov )

How You’ll Get Your Money

A close-up of a man's hands holding a debit card and a smartphone

We pay benefits using a prepaid Bank of America debit card, a convenient and secure way for you to access your benefits.

If you’ve received a card in the past four years after applying for Unemployment, Temporary Disability, or Family Leave Insurance benefits, your benefits will be applied to that same debit card account.

Step 1: Check Your Mail

We want to pay you as quickly as possible after we approve your application. To make that happen, you’ll get a Bank of America debit card in the mail before we make a decision. This way, you’ll have it in hand as soon as benefits are applied to your account. The card may not have any funds on it when you receive it.

Click here to check the status of your application and see when a payment has been made. Benefit payments are available from your debit card within two business days of the payment date.

Step 2: Already Have a Card? Get it Ready

The Bank of America debit card expires four years from the issue date, as indicated on the front of the card. If you received a card in the past and it hasn’t expired, we’ll pay benefits using that same card. To replace an expired or lost card, call Bank of America toll-free at 866-213-4074 to request a new one. You will receive a replacement card within seven to ten business days, or you can pay $10 for expedited shipping. You can only request a replacement card through this dedicated number. A teller at a Bank of America branch will be unable to assist you. 

Step 3: Activate Your Card & Get Your Money

The Department of Labor and Workforce Development only processes benefit payments. We do not directly issue or administer the debit card account.

You’ll need to contact Bank of America toll-free at 866-213-4074 or visit www.bankofamerica.com/cashpay to:

  • activate your card
  • check your balance
  • locate the nearest Bank of America ATM
  • transfer funds from your debit card account to your personal savings or checking account
  • report a lost or stolen debit card
  • change or reset your PIN
  • get more information about your debit card, including any transaction fees that may apply

Your debit card can be used everywhere VISA debit cards are accepted: in stores, online, and to make purchases by mail or phone. There are no bank fees when you use your card for purchases from a merchant. You can get cash from thousands of ATM’s nationwide and from tellers at any bank or credit union that accepts VISA, but some may charge a fee for use.

REMEMBERDo not discard your debit card after your claim has ended. It is valid for four years from the date of issue. Any Unemployment, Temporary Disability or Family Leave Insurance benefits you are entitled to during that time will be applied the debit card you originally received.

Was your claim routed to Disability During Unemployment (DDU) or Family Leave During Unemployment (FLDU) for processing? If you received Unemployment Insurance benefits with direct deposit to your checking or savings account within the last 28 days, this option will remain in effect for your DDU or FLDU claim. Your DDU/FLDU benefit payment will continue to be deposited directly to that account. If it has been more than 28 days since your last Unemployment Insurance benefit payment, your payment method will revert back to the debit card originally issued to you by the Division of Unemployment Insurance.

Still have questions about your debit card? Check out our Debit Card FAQ here.